Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association Fly-In June 19-20, 2020
Casper Wyoming was selected as a location for the AOPA fly-in. With unlimited things to do and places to go, We have created a list to help with your Casper Wyoming journey. We are excited that Casper was selected for this event. So to help you we compiled a list of all the must do’s while you are here. Links are all live and are there to help you collect all the beta you need to make your trip a success.
Wyoming: the land of wide open spaces and wild beauty, but what is there to do here? Casper, Wyoming is full of activities of all sorts whether your crowd is fly fishermen, sunbathers, hikers, artists, history buffs or sports fans there is something for you in Casper.
- Fly Fish the world renowned North Platte River
The North Platte is an incredible fishery, sporting enormous numbers of rainbow, brown, and cutthroat trout, and, on rare occasions, even grayling. There are many different sections of the river to choose from and great public access. Popular sections include Grey Reef, Fremont Canyon and the Miracle Mile. There is even a public airstrip on the fabled Miracle Mile! Take a scenic flight over the Ferris Mountains and get a bird’s eye view of Casper’s gorgeous reservoirs, land at the Miracle Mile and chase trophy trout! (Guided fly fishing trips booked through Crazy Rainbow Fly Fishing can be arranged to meet at the airstrip.)
Guides, lodging, flies, equipment and beta are all available at Ugly Bug Fly Shop and Crazy Rainbow Fly Fishing. Give us a call, shoot us an email or stop by our retail shop downtown!
ADDRESS: 240 S. CENTER ST CASPER, WYOMING 82601
2. Visit Downtown Casper
Downtown Casper is a social hub for many people in the region with abundant night life, shopping, dining, breweries and bars. Scattered all around the city are abundant pieces of art including statues, murals and architecture.
Be sure to check out these places when Downtown:
- Ugly Bug Fly Shop-Your premiere fly fishing and fly tying store
- Lou Taubert’s Ranch Outfitters-One of the last great western stores in existence.
- David Street Station-Casper’s event hub
- Frontier Brewing-A great local brewery specializing in serving local brews.
- Rialto Soda Fountain-Old school soda fountain using traditional recipes.
- Check out Casper’s many museums
From dinosaurs to modern art Casper’s museums feature a wide array of subjects. This part of Wyoming is incredibly rich in history and natural resources with the Oregon Trail, Mormon Trail and Pony express all passing through the area as well as important geological deposits that have produced and continue to produce priceless dinosaur fossils among other geological discoveries.
Must see museums:
- Nicolaysen Art Museum-Local art museum and a great discovery center.
- Fort Caspar-A very cool reconstructed military post from 1865
- Werner Wildlife Museum-The museum’s main focus is native Wyoming wildlife but also houses many birds and animals from around the world.
- National Historic Trails Center-Explore exhibits related to some of the most famous names in western history.
- See the sights
Take in the gorgeous backdrop that Wyoming provides wherever you go. Rocky outcroppings, sage brush steppe and high desert cover most of the area around Casper with junipers, aspen and pines in the higher elevations on Casper Mountain as well as the numerous surrounding mountain ranges. Giant, ancient cottonwood and willow trees are scattered along the majestic North Platte River with gravel bottomed braids, calm sloughs and steep chalk bluffs. The Platte is halted in its course at both Alcova and Pathfinder Reservoirs. Both offer lookout points with jaw-dropping views of Pathfinder’s snake-like arms and Alcova’s stark, red rocks.
Must See Sights:
- Casper Mountain Bridal Trail-Hike Casper’s original wilderness trail
- Rotary Park-Casper’s most picturesque park.
- Fremont Canyon-One of Wyoming’s hidden gems.
- Independence Rock-See one of the great landmarks on the Oregon Trail (Father De Smet’s great oregon trail registry)
- Ayres Natural Bridge-One of only three natural bridges that exist with water beneath it.
- Food, drinks, hangouts, breweries, distilleries and more
After a long day of enjoying all Casper has to offer, visit some of these local favorites to relax and enjoy top notch food, drinks and atmosphere.
Ugly Bug’s Top Three Pizza Places.
Ugly Bug’s Top Three Steak Houses.
Ugly Bug’s top three breweries and distilleries.
Ugly Bug’s Top Three Places to Eat Breakfast.